Thursday, August 14, 2008

Effects of sickness and physical factors

This will be a relatively short post, no video. It was prompted today by my visit with my grandfather, who is 90.

My grandfather has been hard of hearing for longer than I've known him, due to his stepfather "boxing his ears" which was a form of punishment that involved hitting both ears (not sure if it was simultaneous or not, but it was done to both sides). Not really a punch--it involves the palm of the hands instead, and hitting the ear like that can cause hearing issues if done just right or repeatedly. So, because of this punishment from his stepfather, he has needed hearing aids, headphones, or whatever else to help him hear in different situations better.

Sometimes he doesn't wear the hearing aids, like if he uses the phone. It's difficult for him to hear an average person speak, but you combine my voice and his being hard of hearing and it's a bad situation. He didn't have his hearing aids in today when I first came over with my girls, so he had to put them in while I was talking to him. Later, my daughters got rowdy, and the screaming was painful when he had his hearing aids in. It's not a good situation for him to be in, and it's a difficult one for me to adapt to.

My voice is softer than it usually is right now because I have a cold. If I have an illness that affects the throat, my voice will generally be affected. This can involve mucus drainage, a sore throat, or even throwing up, which I suspect is due to the stress on my throat.

I can also be affected by something physically hitting my throat. I've touched upon this before. The time when this is most apparent is when one of my daughters will accidentally headbutt me in the throat while picking her up or if I have a cat decide that my throat is a good sleeping place.

Trauma to the outside of the throat can be just as harmful to trauma to the inside of the throat to me. Screaming makes me lose my voice, as it does for many people.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Arwyn-

As always, it is good to see you blogging.

I completely understand what it is like to deal with a grandparent who is hard of hearing. Before my grandparents (one on each side of the family) passes away last October, visits with them were very difficult. I had to sit VERY close to them and even then family members sometimes had to interpret for me. Very frustrating! That is the kind of situation in which you just want to cry and scream and kick things.

Colds surprisingly have a good effect on my voice - making it much easier for me to talk. I think it has something to do with a swelling of the vocal cords which makes it easier for them to come together. Who knows. I am sorry to hear that they don't work the same for you!

I do agree with the trama to the outside of the neck. Hit me - even gently and things just refuse to work.

Hang in there!

Are you all settled in the new house and neighbohood?