Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Confusing replies on YouTube

From time to time, I will check what posts have shown up on my YouTube videos (the ones also posted in this blog) to see if there are any comments that I should respond to. The last two comments left were related to stuttering. One guy asked if people have psychological effects from SD. He said he didn't think it was such a big deal, as he is a stutterer, and some people who stutter feel afraid to go out into public and even commit suicide. I was a bit baffled about what kind of response to give. First of all, I found it incredibly offensive he was playing the "my problem is worse than yours" game. I've been a stutterer, too, but not nearly to the degree that some people are. I still stutter occasionally. Although I found the original comment a bit inflammatory, I politely explained to him that perhaps before assuming that SD isn't "a big deal" he should read stories from people who have it. I explained that it is an incurable neurological disorder that is considered a disability. His following reply was "Yeah, you're right. this is a big deal, compared to stuttering, since you guys can talk and we can't correct? (rolls eyes)." I'm not entirely sure he even listened to this particular video, at least all of it, because my voice cuts out terribly while I am reading the book. Sometimes we can't talk. I have my husband order for me when we go out to restaurants. I try not to put myself into situations where I can't be heard, like a concert.

A second person made a comment about stuttering. He was not nearly as aggressive. He asked if stuttering was a symptom, and he said he didn't know why people make a big deal about SD, as people who stutter have hard times too. I explained that no, stuttering is not a symptom. What he is hearing is my vocal cords being pulled apart, but I have had issues with stuttering in the past. I also stated that people aren't making a big enough deal out of SD because it's very little-known.

I shouldn't be too angry about this, but I just don't understand making posts on videos about how much worse your disability is than the person who posted the video. Does it matter? Not once did I claim that stuttering wasn't a problem. However, it's a problem faced by many more people than SD (millions compared to about 50,000), and it is something that is a well-known issue. SD is not, and the point of the videos was to bring awareness.

My voice is so-so right now. I'm over my cold, so I don't have that bothering me as much. I did make another video, which I will be posting here soon. Followers of this blog already know much of this information, but those who have only seen my videos do not. I guess you can view the video as a kind of refresher.

5 comments:

Greg said...

As a stutterer myself (as well as a speech pathologist), please let me apologize on behalf of my (stuttering) people. That (stuttering) guy that commented or contacted you re: SD--I don't even know where to begin. The words like "ignorant" or "inappropriate" does not even begin to express his emotional and intellectual status. He was 100% in the wrong for both his actions and his perspective.

Greg
http://Stuttering.me

Arwyn Y. said...

Wow Greg, that was a fast reply! I was probably editing when you commented. I tried not to sound too aggressive, as that is not the point of the blog.

Thank you for your comment. As stated, I have a slight stutter myself, which really only comes out when I am nervous or angry. I comment on this a little bit in my next video. My issues are normally with drawing out the s or repeating the same first syllable multiple times, and it mostly happens with "I."

I know that the person who commented is not representative of everyone with a stutter or a disability, but it's a bit disheartening to have such a reply on something I posted trying to help people or bring awareness to. On another video I had a guy post, "I have acne," but that post mostly elicited my rolling my eyes :).

Unknown said...

I think stuttering and SD have much more in common than differences. And I also think that the proximity between the two disorders should be further investigated.

Great insights may emerge from neurocientific research that doesn't underestimate the unequivocal interfaces between these two conditions.

dotsowerby said...

I just wanted to see if you were aware of:

National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association
300 Park Boulevard Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143

E-mail: NSDA@dysphonia.org

Phone: 800-795-NSDA (6732)

Website: www.dysphonia.org

I have had this disorder for 25 years, please email me for more info. dot

Trisha said...

Wow - insteresting. As for someone talking about a disorder when they don't have it or understand it . . . I agree with Greg - "ignorant." As you well know, there are HUGE psychological issues for peopel who have SD. Hang in there!